Monday, January 9, 2012

Writing Day 3: Motivation

Hello everyone,
Just got to writing some of the treatment today. I have the beginning and ending down pretty much pat, now I just got to get to the middle part of the story (which can be the hardest part to write) but I am hoping once I get around to writing the treatment- the script will come in much easier. (I had been stuck in the Beatsheet mode for so long, it feels good to get an actual rhythm for the plot.)

However this did bring up the point of motivation and how this story was in development hell for so long: I came up with this idea in 2007/2008- after experiencing a gruesome nightmare- which inspired the plot for this comic however there were a lot of life events (moving out, getting a job, marriage, school etc..) that had me place the comic aside for short term goals.

I end up working on the story on and off for the last 4-5 years with many changes to the plot (however they are very good changes) although when I sat down to try and actually write the script- I would hit a wall. And if I am not working on it- my motivation to do so wanes.

So what to do in order to keep motivation and keep to a deadline? There are a few ways to do it:

1) Expectation from Audience
If you have nobody interested in your work, then you have no motivation for you to complete it. So if you have a bunch of people who are interested in the project you are doing, then at least you have an audience to make the work for. Best way to do that is to make friends with those in the community (comics, horror, film, etc..) that have the same interest you do and would be willing to support your hard work.

2) Potential Gain
This is often used as a big motivator- make this product and make money/fame. However depending on the product/person, monetary gain may not be enough of a motivator to get work done. Not to mention if you have large competition- desire for gain fails because they know they have a very small chance of getting it.

3) Potential Loss
Unlike the potential for gain, potential loss is a much more hard hitting motivator: You do this or you loose money/opportunity/etc.. If you don't get any potential gain, no loss is made. However if you put your stakes high, your motivation is higher because you don't want to lose whatever you put into the project.

In my opinion number 3 has been the highest motivator for me, followed by 1 and then maybe 2. I know by making this comic, I will not be a rich/famous. I want to be able to make a good story and share it with my audience. If I make money or get a little fame? Great! If not, at least I have something accomplished.

Now I would like to ask, what motivates you to create your project? And if not, what has been holding you back?

No comments:

Post a Comment