Tuesday, January 10, 2012

BreakTime: Inspiration

While taking a break from my writing and animation. Here are some films that help inspired my storyline and recommend for you to check out:

"Maribito: The Stranger From Afar"
Directed by: Takashi Shimizu.

This was my earliest inspiration for my story when I was really into Asian horror films and this one stuck out to me. I've seen quite a few films that are very liberal with the arterial spray but this film was much quieter more subdued type of horror- as in a lot of the fear is in the uncertainy- there wasn't a lot of information given about the characters (especially for the girl "F") so a lot of scary things you end up creating in your head. It doesn't mean that this film doesn't have any of its own scares. It does have a lot of creepy things although this is along the lines of psychological horror where the main character is spiraling to madness.

Even though my plot has changed quite a bit over the years, I quite love this film and hope my story would be half as creepy as Marebito.


"Suspiria"
Directed by Dario Argento

I've only recently got into the European horror films- Italian in particular here. Dario Argento has been a big inspiration to the current incarnation of my plotline. Suspiria, is one of his few supernatural works deals with the main character who attends a prestigious ballet school, only to find out it is run by a coven of witches.

I would definitely recommend this movie (especially if you liked Black Swan), Argento has an eye for the art direction of his films which often has striking imagery and colours that invoke a psychedelic/dreamlike vibe to Suspiria. His works though heralded as horror masterpieces, his films are at heart, a mystery/detective story (with lots of blood and gore to boot!)


"Carrie"
Directed by Brian de Palma

Inspiration or not, this film should be mandatory viewing for horror fans. This film has been giving me some inspiration for writing - where the main character, Carrie is being bullied from everyone in her life from her classmates to her bible-thumping fanatical freak of a mother (which btw, kudos to Piper Laurie for a great job in acting as a hateful bitch.)


So yeah that's the three main inspirations for my novel and it should give you a bit of an idea of what kind of theme/mood I am trying to invoke with it. If you have any film suggestions I should look at, please feel free to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment